Why Do Companies Adopt Scrum?
Organizations implement Scrum because they want reduce something called as product waste. While working on several products in last many years of software development, people have understood the fact that that each product has considerable amount of wastage’s, in term of numerous resources, infrastructure etc and it swallows up all the product strength. Implementing Scrum assists to reduce such wastage, although it cant be brought down to zero.
Any kind wastage minimizes product Return on Investment (ROI).
What is meant product wastage? Basically anything that is not adding value to the product. Value in terms as recognized by customer. Anything for which customer is not likely to pay for is considered a waste.
Listed below are a few common wastage
- Additional features: Any feature that is not needed and is additional or redundant by customer is a product wastage. It grows the complexity. It creates more maintenance. It increases the no of bugs in the product. It requires additional testing.
- Movement of People and Resources: Moving of merchandise and team members around different parts of deliverables results in wastage of time and resources.
- Non-essential processes:Typical example is product sign off, waiting for approvals as per hierarchy, managing traceability matrix as per processes and methodologies are considered wastage. Customer is never ready to pay for it..
- Idle or Non-productive or waiting period:Awaiting for code reviews, design reviews etc then resource hiring as per required skill sets and proper allocation, testing of product (although an essential part), product localization, documentation of the product etc, waste lot of resources, time and energy.
- Incomplete Work Done:Any work done during a release but which is incomplete in every aspect to make it a part of shippable product is wastage. It becomes redundant very quickly. In next sprint or release feature list may change and so earlier done work may go waste.
- Swapping of Tasks:Getting carried on intensification repeatedly leads to task swapping which waste resources.
- Bugs:Customer found bugs is considered humongous product waste as it requires everything to be re-worked like testing, packing, delivering shippable product to customer.
Nowadays Scrum Master Certification Online is gaining popularity since the COVID-19 pandemic and Scrum Master Certification in Pune is more relevant.
All these above discussed wastage’s can be minimized up to great extent by implementing Scrum attitude. Let us consider an example of a bug – which is most important wastage. A bug impacts everyone – from development to customer in a negative way. A bug is rework for tester, developer, for a release management to re-schedule for a manager, business / budget impact for a director and total unhappiness and dissatisfaction along with loss of business for a customer. Solving all bugs entirely is not possible, but minimizing its impact to large extend is achievable by applying appropriate Scrum processes and methodologies like – early and seamless delivery of complete software, working software is delivered frequently in weeks instead of months, daily co-ordination and communication between developers and stakeholders, direct customer feedback etc.
In today’s cut-throat competition scenario in all the industries, making sure the maximum amount of contribution from each employee is very critical.
Scrum development methodology accelerates the delivery of product and hence the initial section of business value, and via a process of continuous planning and seamless feedback, hence we can make sure that value is constantly getting maximized throughout the entire product development process.
So Scrum is definitely here to stay and the professional working on Scrum should go for Scrum Master Certification Online or Classroom to stay in demand in the current market today. You can also do Scrum Master Certification Training in Pune with SarvaShikshan® e-Learning.
Following are the few reasons to adopt Scrum in Product Development
- Scrumness / Being Flexible
- Business Value Engagement with Customers
- Controlling Costs
- Managing Risks
- Maintaining Quality
- Reduce Time to Market
The word Scrum defines of being able to speed up or reciprocate fast and easily. In any kind of project or product or program management or discipline, Scrum as a quality should be a good thing to aim at. Scrum project management especially, involves being accommodative during the creation of a product, service etc..
Working of Scrum
With fast moving changes in technology, demand in the market, and expectations from customers have called for increased challenges to developing products and services using traditional project management models. This actually has made the way for the conceptualization and incorporation of Scrum methods and values in many companies.
Popularity of Scrum
Scrum development methodology and process takes care of the limitations connected with traditional project management way in embracing the ever-increasing demands related to environment and expectations that companies face. Since traditional project management methodology generally stresses on the fact of detailed upfront planning and conformance to the plan once it is base lined, such methodologies were not successful in meeting the true fact of frequent environmental changes. Scrum believes in adaptive planning and spiral development and delivery. It concentrates basically on the value of people in getting the job done efficiently.
By doing Scrum Scrum Master Certification in Pune or Scrum Master Certification online it will enhance ones career growth and salary hike.
Listed below are some of the advantages of being Scrum:
- Enhances your efforts: If you are currently working on a project, finding out hurdles that are restricting the team from the release of the product feature wise. You will quickly be able to find ways to enhance your efforts and increase the project’s efficiency and productivity. You will also understand how team interaction is affecting the project; whether the team members are working in harmony with each other or not. In order to get maximum results it is important for product managers to continuously communicate with the developers, who in turn have to be in continuous touch with the testing and quality management people. Good co-ordination among team members is a sign of the health of the project. Another way that you could get from this activity is that more frequent releases will lead to more frequent feedback.
- Correct and appropriate focus: If you lay down items according to their criticality in a descending order, you will be able to focus on first things first. This will make sure that you deliver value to the customer. When you have to pick between items from the list to be a part of the release, there’s a fair chance that you’ll choose the correct ones that will give an edge to the customer business.
- Concentrates on activities that are under your prerogative: It is always better to think of the whole business, but trying to get connected in the entire working of the system may not be the right decision. It may switch your focus from your critical responsibilities, affecting your work at hand. It is best to focus your attention to things that are within your control or things that are within your scope. This way you can work effectively and also find fixes to issues quickly, if at all things go wrong at some point of time.
- SARIKA GANGRADE – PMP, Currently working as a Project Manager in Cybage Software Pvt.
- HARSH S VARUDKAR – SMC, Currently working as a Senior Software Developer in IITM Independent Data Consutants.